Dr Nabil Elaraby was the Secretary General of the League of Arab States from July 2011 to 2016. He was appointed Egyptian Minister of Foreign Affairs in March 2011. He served as director of the Cairo Regional Centre for International Commercial Arbitration from 2008 to 2011.
Previously he was a Judge at the International Court of Justice from 2001 until February 2006.
- Permanent Representative to the UN in New York from 1991 to 1999;
- Member of the International Law Commission of the United Nations from 1994 to 2001;
- President of the Security Council in June 1996;
- Permanent Representative to the UN Office at Geneva from 1987 to 1991;
- Legal Adviser and Director in the Legal and Treaties Department at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs from 1983 to 1987;
- Head of the Egyptian delegation to the Taba dispute negotiations from 1986-1988;
- In 1988, Agent of the Government of Egypt in the Taba arbitration;
- Ambassador to India from 1981 to 1983;
- Legal Adviser and Director in the Legal and Treaties Department at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs from 1976 to 1978;
- Egypt’s Legal Advisor to the Camp David Middle East peace Conference in 1978.