Business Arbitration Scheme
The Business Arbitration Scheme (BAS) has been developed by the CIArb to provide simple, cost-effective, and timely resolution of disputes of low to medium monetary value (£5,000 - £100,000), by arbitration before a sole arbitrator.
Why use the Business Arbitration Scheme?
- BAS is a fixed fee scheme, giving the parties’ certainty as to costs. A fixed fee of £1,250 + VAT is payable by each party on commencement of the arbitration, to cover CIArb’s administrative costs and the arbitrator’s fees.
- BAS offers a final and legally binding Award in less than 90 days from the appointment of the arbitrator.
- BAS is simple enough to allow most businesses to present their own case without legal representation, and the amount recoverable has been limited to £1,000 to dissuade parties from incurring high legal costs.
- Formal procedural steps are kept to a minimum (exchange of statements of case, documents and evidence), which shortens the timetable and reduces the expense of preparing the case.
- The process is private and confidential.
- The Award is enforceable in the same way as a court judgement
Download a copy of the BAS rules.
If you wish to apply for the appointment of an Arbitrator under this Scheme, please complete and return the Application Form with the appropriate fee.
If you wish to enter into an agreement to use BAS in the event of a dispute, please see ourRecommended BAS Arbitration Clause
Please contact DAS e: email@example.com.