Master Class in Transformative Mediation
London |12 October 2012
Co-sponsored by - Institute for the Study of Conflict Transformation
The transformative model of mediation is now being used in such diverse areas as workplace, community, family, organisational, public policy conflicts and international peace-building.
"Transformative mediation is an approach to conflict intervention that supports constructive transformation of the parties' conflict interaction. rather than controlling or limiting the parties' interaction, transformative practice supports people in their attempt to interact with each other in a way that allows them to make their own decisions based upon greater deliberation and understanding. Parties create settlements and other outcomes through their own efforts at gaining greater clarity about themselves, each other, and the differences they need to address."
Professor Joseph Folger, Co-author of the award winning book "The Promise of Mediation"
For further information on the speaker please download the delegate information sheet.
- Overview the purposes and practice of the Transformative Model
- Illuminate the value and ethical base
- Discuss the applications in diverse settings
This will enable you to
- Understand the core values and skills needed to transform conflict
- Appreciate the key challenges of the model
- Discuss and apply the key communication skills needed in transformative practice
0900 - Registration, refreshments and networking
0930 - Introducing Joseph Folger
0945 - Morning topics:
* Transformative Model - moral and ethical basis
* The success stories
* Value Challenges - when and why the core commitments of the model are difficult to sustain in practice
* Psychological challenges - the mental ability to integrate theory and practice
* Communication challenges - the skills needed to transform conflicts
1230 - Lunch and networking
1330 - 'What the Parents Know' - transformative practice in action - this is the film showing a parental mediation concerned with a custody dispute
1500 - Refreshment break
1530 - Small group reflection
1630 - Plenary with questions and answers with the panel
1700 - Workshop close
Who Should Attend?
Mediators working in: Court settings, Private Practice, Family & Divorce proceedings, Civil Disputes, Community & Neighbourhood, Organisational Disputes & Organisational Developers, Managers & Practitioners who work with conflict, Human Resource Professionals, Conflict Resolution Researchers and Educators, Family Therapists
W12 Conference Centre, Hammersmith Hospital, Du Cane Road, London, W12 0HS
Early Bird Fee £125 (before 14 September 2012)
Registration Fee £155
Book 2 places, get a third place for £75 (on full cost bookings, not early bird)
(All fees include refreshments, working lunch and CPD certificate)
To book on to this event please download and complete the booking form.
If you require further information please contact Adam Brookes at W12 Conferences.
A: W12 Conferences, 150 Du Cane Road, London, W12 0HS
F: 020 8383 1610
T: 020 8383 1601/1606
Last Updated: 15 August 2012