CIArb celebrated the launch of its new Canada Branch on Canada Day, 1 July 2017, marking Canada’s 150th anniversary and bringing the number of CIArb branches to 38.
The experienced Dr Paul A. Tichauer FCIArb is Chair of the Branch Committee made up of highly qualified arbitrators, mediators, former judges and educators from across the major population centres of Canada. They include Daniel R. Bennett QC FCIArb who serves as Vice Chair, Julie G. Hopkins FCIArb as Honorary Secretary and Daniel Urbas FCIArb as Honorary Treasurer.
Commenting on the reasons for opening the branch, Paul Tichauer FCIArb said:
We have formed a Canadian branch in order to give greater visibility to Canada as an exceptionally attractive venue for arbitration and to give Canadians greater opportunity to develop as arbitrators, mediators and adjudicators through educational programmes and networking events.
Canada is a particularly appealing venue for arbitration. Its strong legal framework and tradition of embracing diversity as well as its excellent arbitration facilities in major urban centres make it one of the best places in the world to arbitrate international disputes.
In addition, Canada is officially a bilingual country – English and French – with right of access to judicial proceedings in both languages, and Canada's legal system is based on a combination of Common Law and Civil Law.
I am very excited to be leading this effort, welcome all with an interest in alternative dispute resolution (ADR) and look forward to engaging with you here in Canada.
For further information, please contact:
Nikki Nang Nilar
T: 020 7421 7481
Notes to editors:
The Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb)
- The Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb) is a leading professional membership organisation representing the interests of alternative dispute resolution (ADR) practitioners worldwide. With some 15,000 members located in 134 countries, CIArb supports the global promotion, facilitation, and development of all forms of private dispute resolution.
- The Canada Branch committee comprises:
- Chair – Dr. Paul A. Tichauer, FCIArb (ON)
- Vice-Chair – Daniel R. Bennett, QC, FCIArb (BC)
- Honorary Secretary – Julie G. Hopkins, FCIArb (AB)
- Honorary Treasurer – Daniel Urbas, FCIArb (QC)
- Communications – Website: Kathryn Podrebarac, MCIArb (ON)
- Communications – Newsletter: William L. Neville, MCIArb (Ottawa)
Directors at large:
- The Hon. Edward C. Chiasson, QC, FCIArb (BC)
- The Hon. Pierre J. Dalphond, FCIArb (QC)
- Jacques S. Darche, FCIArb (QC)
- H. Scott Fairley, FCIArb (ON)
- David R. Haigh, QC, FCIArb (AB)
- Sabri M. Shawa, QC, FCIArb (AB)
- Professor Janet Walker, FCIArb (ON)
The CIArb Canada Branch website can be found www.ciarbcanada.org.