15 Jun 2022
On 27 May 2022, the newly launched CIArb Pakistan Branch held its inaugural Conference on Judicial Perspectives on Domestic and International Arbitration in Pakistan.
The conference attracted over 800+ delegates who heard from a brilliant line-up of speakers including many key figures from the Pakistan judiciary. Sessions covered topics including the role of ADR centers and commercial courts in increasing foreign investors’ confidence; ADR global perspectives, energy and power arbitration in Pakistan, standardization in arbitration practice, procedure and process; and dispute resolution, a client’s perspective. The conference also launched Pakistan’s first construction disputes report co-authored by the Chair and Vice Chair of the Branch which is available at www.PCDR.pk
The conference culminated in the ratification of the Lahore Arbitration Declaration – a positive step towards embedding alternative dispute resolution in Pakistan:
LAHORE ARBITRATION DECLARATION
RATIFIED ON 27 MAY 2022 at PC Grand Ball Room, Lahore, Pakistan at
Conference on Judicial Perspectives on Domestic and International Arbitration in Pakistan
Whereas it is recognised that commercial courts and arbitration are the main components of an eco-system of efficient dispute resolution.
And Whereas it is affirmed that Pakistan with the help of CIArb will take the following concrete steps to create this international eco-system in order to attract domestic and foreign investment to Pakistan.
And Whereas it is realized that the CIArb Pakistan Branch Inaugural Event of 27 May 2022 has concluded with practical steps on how to realize the objective.
And Whereas it is supported by the blessing and participation of the honorable Chief Justice of Pakistan, Mr. Justice Umar Ata Bandial, Honorable Justice of the Supreme Court, Mr. Justice Mansoor Ali Shah, Honorable Chief Justice of the Lahore High Court, Lahore, Mr. Justice Muhammad Ameer Bhatti, Honorable Justice of the Lahore High Court, Mr. Justice Jawad Hassan, Honorable Justice of the Lahore High Court, Mr. Justice Asim Hafeez.
Now, therefore it is unanimously declared and proclaimed:
1. To set up ADR centers and Commercial Courts in all provinces and autonomous areas of Pakistan in order to strengthen investor trust.
2. To set up an international level Arbitration Centre catering to both domestic and international arbitration in Pakistan.
3. To devise a judges training program with assistance from CIArb in the District Courts of the Punjab and to be expanded to all provinces and autonomous areas of Pakistan.
4. To conduct capacity-building programs with assistance from CIArb for lawyers, arbitrators and practitioners of arbitration.
5. To build a repository of judicial decisions on commercial disputes and arbitration.
6. To adopt and meet the CIArb London Principles.
7. To compile a book of the proceedings of this CIArb conference in Lahore on this 27th day of May 2022.
8. To ensure annual conferences, workshops and seminars to reinforce commitments made in this declaration.
9. To work for the enactment of a new arbitration law based in the UNCITRAL Model law.
In the presence of
L-R: Honourable Judge of the Supreme Court of Pakistan, Mr Justice Syed Mansoor Ali Shah, Honourable Chief Justice Lahore High Court, Mr Justice Muhammad Ameer Bhatti, Director General of CIArb, Catherine Dixon MCIArb
30 Jun 2022Catherine Dixon, CIArb elected to IFCAI Council
On 8 June 2022, the International Federation of Commercial Arbitration Institutions (IFCAI) appointed CIArb’s Director General, Catherine Dixon, to its Council along with several other new Council Members, all of whom are prominent and influential members of the ADR community.
14 Jun 2022Roebuck Lecture 2022 delivered by the Rt. Hon. Sir Geoffrey Vos
On 8 June 2022, the Master of the Rolls and Head of Civil Justice in England and Wales, the Rt. Hon. Sir Geoffrey Vos delivered the 12th Roebuck Lecture on “Mandating Mediation: The Digital Solution” at 12 Bloomsbury Square to both an in-person and online audience.
13 Jun 2022CIArb in attendance of the EFILA conference in Amsterdam
On Thursday 9 June 2022, the annual European Federation for Investment Law and Arbitration (EFILA) conference took place in Amsterdam, The Netherlands. The one-day conference featured four panels with many expert speakers, and focussed on the all-important question of “is the EU still an attractive investment destination?”